Brendan has been practicing yoga since 2001. He studied yoga intensely while traveling through India, Nepal and Thailand for 6 months in 2007 and then completed his certification in 2008 with YogaWorks in New York City. Since then he has been teaching at studios in New York City, Hoboken and surrounding suburbs and Los Angeles. Also, he has either managed or owned yoga studios in NYC, Hoboken and LA. His meditation practice started over 10 years ago and he recently traveled to Indonesia to do a 10-day Vipassana mediation course.
His flow classes are strong and energetic. Combining intelligent sequences with a strong pace you will be left feeling invigorated, "worked out", yet calm, focused and with a better understanding of your body. His Movement and Meditation classes combine mindful movement from various modalities, breathing techniques used to both calm and focus the mind and meditation practices that will enable you to find a balance of the mind so you can approach any situation with a clear, alert and relaxed approach.
DID YOU KNOW:
- SPIRIT ANIMAL: I am definitely a monkey. I love to have fun and like to keep things changing in order to feel at peace. I love to live in community but can also wander off on my own. - SUPERPOWER:This is an easy one. I dream of flying all the time. It's always scary and exhilarating and I love both of those feelings. Ive been skydiving a number of times and I fall very well. Guess that's the closest I'll ever come but it's fun to dream.
- GUILTY PLEASURE: I have to keep Ice Cream out of the house because I will eat a whole carton in a few sittings. Those sittings usually happen about a half an hour apart from each other and come with me calculating the saturated fat content of 4 servings of Ben and Jerry's.
- HIDDEN TALENT: I am a pretty mean juggler
Carly has been practicing yoga for about five years. What began as an activity in a high school fitness class became a passion in college. Carly completed her RYT 200 training after her sophomore year of college at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor. She turns to yoga in order to connect the mind, body, and breath. Carly strives to fill her classes with mindfulness, creativity, and joy. When she is not practicing yoga, Carly enjoys running, reading, and attempting to try every brunch in New York City.
DID YOU KNOW?
- SPIRIT ANIMAL: A stork
- FAVORITE CHILDHOOD GAME: Four square
- GUILTY PLEASURE: dark chocolate peanut butter cups and any show on Bravo
- SUPER POWER: time travel
- HIGH SCHOOL SUPERLATIVE: Most Gullible (yes, it’s true)
Danika Colucci is a Hoboken based Meditation Teacher. She received her meditation teacher certification from Devotion Yoga Studio in 2017 after maintaining a personal meditation practice for several years. Her intention with her classes is to provide a relaxing environment where students can practice mindfulness in a supportive space.
DID YOU KNOW:
- GUILTY PLEASURE: Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby Ice Cream
- FAVORITE CHILDHOOD GAME: Clue
- SUPERPOWER: Teleport
- SPIRIT ANIMAL: Flamingo because I'm from Florida and even as an adult, I still love the color pink
- 3 THINGS ON A STRANDED ISLAND: Water, cell phone, Sunglasses
As a fitness coach and MELT® instructor, Denise enjoy’s helping people connect with their body, so that they can move with ease, confidence and feel good. Her expertise incorporates a variety of fitness disciplines including Barre, Pilates®, Indoor Cycling, Triggerpoint™, Anatomy Trains® for Movement Professionals and the MELT Method® (Hand and Foot, Level 1, Level 2), and uses a that to create workouts and restorative MELT Maps® that are progressive, while providing the support and encouragement needed for commitment and perseverance.
DID YOU KNOW:
- 3 THINGS ON A STRANDED ISLAND: Endless supply of fresh coconut water, soft serve vanilla Ice-cream with sprinkles and of course a MELT Soft roller.
- SPIRIT ANIMAL? Lioness of course (my sign is LEO)
- HOLLYWOOD ALTER EGO: A combo of all three angel characters played by Lucy Liu, Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore..
- HIDDEN TALENT: Painting abstract and colorful portraits, and sculpting figures out of clay
Dharma Devi moved to the U.S. 7 years ago from Italy. She regularly teaches Yoga, Shakti Dance™ and offers Energy Healing sessions in NYC and NJ. She has been practicing yoga and meditation since childhood, while Indian classical Dance has enriched her life during adulthood.
Dharma Devi background is extensive, and she teaches all over the world; she aims to share Self-Compassion and Self-Empowerment with whoever joins her seminars and YTT. Her teaching style is full of love, compassion, and sense of humor, yet it is stable, firm and determined because the only focus for Dharma is to give the best to whoever comes to her classes and share the teaching with integrity and joy.
Dharma Devi is a Yoga Alliance E-RYT200, a certified Kundalini Yoga Teacher Trainer, a Shakti Dance™ Lead Trainer, and Founder of "Kundalini Rhythms®️."
Julie discovered the life changing practice of yoga over ten years ago and has been following the connection of breath to movement ever since. She is a graduate of Devotion Yoga’s 200 Hour Teacher Training Program, holds two Advanced Training Certifications in Restorative Yoga, and is a First Degree Reiki practitioner. As a student, Julie has found the practice to be instrumental in recovery from emotional trauma and physical injury as well as providing community, clarity and spiritual support.
THINGS TO KNOW:
- SPIRIT ANIMAL: Horse because they have strong shoulders and legs that support them on the earth and they also have a sensitive side and the ability to hold their ground when needed.
- SUPERPOWER: The ability to stop something before it happens.
- FIND $100 WHAT DO YOU DO: Spend it on essential oils.
- GUILTY PLEASURE: A sinfully delicious donut from Schnackenberg’s.
- HIDDEN TALENT: Singing, but it’s mostly in the car alone at a traffic light.
Leah is a registered yoga instructor, meditation teacher and longtime resident of Hoboken. In 2004, she earned her 200-hour yoga teacher certification and has been studying various meditation methods at the Himalayan Institute and the Open Center for the last 10 years. She has led meditation classes at various yoga studios and corporations. Leah was drawn to meditation after studying the significant benefits it provides to the body and brain as revealed by recent science. You will often hear Leah refer to meditation as much needed “brain rest” for us all.
Lucy’s experience with movement therapies began in 2014 when she saw the importance of incorporating stretching/strengthening therapies to her sports massage clients. Having former training background in gymnastics and fitness allowed her to have an insight and understanding on body mechanics, conditioning and rehabilitative exercises for recovery and post injury work.
Through her personal journey with yoga, Lucy learned the importance not only of movement but also of stillness - of mind and heart. She eventually merged Yoga’s philosophies into her bodywork practice which she has been sharing with her students as well as her private clients. She believes that balance begins with one self and is made complete when given back to others. Her intention is to share and empower communities towards mindfulness, wholeness and peace.
DID YOU KNOW:
- 3 THINGS ON STRANDED ISLAND: a knife, a tarp, and mesh – you can tell I’ve watch to many episodes of “Naked and Afraid”
- SPIRIT ANIMAL: The Phoenix
- NAME OF ALTER EGO: Maya. She’s a shaman. A native healer that lives way up high in a mountain where there’s only cold, wintery weather. But she comes down the mountain to chill with the people of the town and the weather is warmer. Night bonfires for story telling and community drumming and singing.
- SUPERPOWER: Special kind of eye glasses that make people see the good things happening in life
Sarah C. Bond has been a Hoboken resident for over 25 years. She has over 350 hours of training as a Certified Yoga Instructor. Completing training at Bright Spirits Teacher Training at Devotion Yoga, Hoboken, NJ, and Laughing Lotus, New York City. She also completed a Yoga for Trauma certification with the Yoga Veterans Project. She has been teaching yoga for over 15 years. She has been an avid student of health and nutrition most of her adult life and her formal education includes the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in New York City, The Natural Gourmet Cooking School in New York City and a B.A. from Rowan University, Glassboro NJ. Sarah’s love of travel and wellness has inspired her to be a Co-Founder of One Hundred Skies Yoga Adventures where she is enjoying planning and offering retreats for others to find more balance in their lives. For more information about Sarah visit www.onehundredskies.com
DID YOU KNOW:
- ONE SUPERPOWER: To be able to Fly.
- HIDDEN TALENT: I know how to sew and have my own sewing machine.
- FAVORITE CHILDHOOD GAME: Hide + Seek
SARAH JANE UNDERWOOD
Sarah Jane has been practicing yoga for the last five years and fell in love with this mindful movement as a way to look within. As a former collegiate track athlete, she overcame multiple injuries and setbacks, made a full recovery, obtained a well-rounded knowledge of the body, and discovered yoga and meditation along the way. She fills her classes with a playful energy, encouraging students to stay curious with childlike awe, while listening to their bodies. Sarah Jane hopes you will leave her class feeling light and excited for whatever your day brings.
DID YOU KNOW:
- SPIRIT ANIMAL: An elephant
- FAVORITE CHILDHOOD GAME: 'hide-and-go-seek tag'
- SUPERPOWER: Teleportation (so she could visit all my friends and family and travel the world...all in the blink of an eye!)
- GUILTY PLEASURE: a big stack of vegan pancakes covered in maple syrup!
- ONE WISH: Mandatory for adults to play outside every day :)
Valerie Ornstein has been a Hoboken resident for over a decade, along with her husband and two boys. She earned her 500 hour and prenatal certification from Yogaworks/Ishta Yoga in 2005. She has taught adult, prenatal and children’s yoga classes at Yogaworks, Devotion Yoga, the McBurney YMCA, and the NY Sports Club as well as privately in homes and corporations. Her background as a contemporary dancer and ACE certified fitness trainer help further inform her teaching.
DID YOU KNOW:
- SPIRIT ANIMAL: A bird, because I just love birds and would love to have the ability to fly
- SUPERPOWER: To see five minutes into the future so you can pause and take a breath before saying or doing something that I might regret.
- WHEN YOU GROW UP: I just want to be happy.
- 3 ADJECTIVES THAT BEST DESCRIBE YOU: Friendly, Flexible and Fortunate